currently | 3

tumblr_m9n1hqBAbl1qbhvlao1_500

It’s September! What I’ve realized over the years is that the older you get, the faster time goes. You make plans that are a few months away, but then before you know it they’re here & gone. All that means is we have to soak up every moment we can & enjoy it because it all goes so fast.

First, I want to cover my goals for September. Right now, I’m focused on getting my budget together (thanks for the inspiration Jessie & Gretchen). I have always been terrible with my money & frivolously spend it like I have a million bucks of it. (Side note: I don’t). Recently, I printed out my transactions for the month of August & had a pretty big eye-opener on what exactly I spend my money on. I created a budget spreadsheet in Google Sheets & I plan to use it the entire month + the future, I hope. Which brings me to my financial goals of September. Please skip down to the normal “currently” post after segment if talking money makes you uncomfortable.

*cut my Dunkin’ Donuts/Starbucks spending amount in half. I spent over $100 last month in coffee, so I plan on making it myself/buying the much cheaper stuff at the grocery store. I know that Dunkin’ & Sbux runs will still happen, so instead of depriving myself completely (which is never realistic), I would like to just cut it in half for right now.

*NO FAST FOOD. This should not have even happened last month at all. But unfortunately when I get lazy & don’t go to the grocery store + I’m having a bad day or week, I tend to get  back in touch with my inner fat girl & swing through the drive-thru. NOT COOL. There is no need for me to be eating this garbage.

*cut my fun budget to $150 for the month. I’m obviously playing around with numbers at this point, so I have no idea if this is a realistic number or not. Fun includes shopping, dinner out with friends, special events, etc. I spent an enormous amount of money on fun in August & it’s just not doable for my current income.

OKAY! So, there it is. I’m determined to get my spending under control. I am almost 28 years old, & there is no excuse for the kind of frivolous spending that I have been doing for as long as I’ve worked for my own money. I’ll report back how I did in my October “currently” post. Wish me luck!

Also – I have a few more goals for September! I’ve been getting frequent headaches & most likely it’s coming from dehydration, but I also stare at a computer screen all day then come home & stare at the TV screen. So, in an effort to cut down my lazy hours of TV watching in the evening & the whole staring at screens problem, I want to:

*Turn off the TV at 8:30pm.

*Read for 30-45 minutes

*Listen to relaxing playlists on Spotify

I’m hoping that doing all 3 of these things after 8:30 will wind me down for bed time. I also haven’t been sleeping very well so I’m hoping this helps too.

—– Back to regularly scheduled post —–

Planning: Anyone that knows me knows I’m a PLANNER. Even if the plans are months away, I’m usually researching fun things to do, checking out hotel rates, & finding the deals. Right now, I have a few things in my head. A girls weekend in the Finger Lakes for my birthday (6 months away), & (not as much) thinking about my trip to Raleigh, NC for the Rock ‘n Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (7 months away). FUN trips ahead 🙂

Listening to: Jake Owen’s newest album, American Love. So good.

Drinking: Water & TONS of it. It has been so unbelievably hot this summer & all I want to do is chug water.

Watching: Parenthood! After Stranger Things, I needed something new to binge watch. I had started out with Mad Men but realized how much of a commitment that was going to be. It’s super dialogue heavy. Classes start after Labor Day, & truthfully I was looking for something more light-hearted & funny. I’m loving Parenthood so far. I’m on the second season. Thoughts so far: I would like to be Lauren Graham. She is so witty & funny & just so cool. Also, I really want my future husband to be Joel. He is such a dedicated Dad & really seems to be a down to earth guy (errrr, character). Plus, he’s super hot.

Eating: Nothing crazy new but I really want to try my hand at cooking a few new things this month! Goal for September: cook 2 new recipes.

Looking forward to: FALL weather, orange & red leaves, jackets & a cool breeze. *Pleeeeease let fall weather start this month. Please.

Loving: That summer is almost over. Sorry, not sorry.

linking up with Gretch Runs &  See You in a Porridge
Advertisements

18 thoughts on “currently | 3

1. Danielle says:

I love that bloggers have been so open about money and financial things! I am so freakin’ nosy about how other people around my age spend their money… I need to jump on this bandwagon and do some oversharing. But everyone (myself included) would probably be horrified with how much “fun money” I spend and also how much debt I’m in… yikes.
    Stranger Things was AMAZING. I’m looking around for a new show to binge too. Reality TV is where it’s at for now – I’m sadly obsessed with Big Brother + Bachelor in Paradise!

So glad I found your blog! 🙂
    Danielle @ afloat on a full sea

• Ciara says:

Let me just say that i spend an enormous amount on stuff, it’s embarrassing. So trust me i totally understand being horrified. I’m a grown woman who can’t manage her money properly & who has no savings. But, I gave myself some goals & I’m going to stick to it! I have watched big brother in the past but ever since getting rid of my DVR it’s been really hard for me to stay up to date!

2. Jessie @ The Acquired Sass says:

Yes! So glad you’ve been inspired!!! Umm, I bought coffee a while back & just haven’t gotten around to it, but I’ve heard great things about making cold brew. It’s legit just water + coffee grounds. So you could totally buy Dunkin bagged coffee, make cold brew & then since it’s super concentrated either add fancy creamer (hello Pumpkin Spice!) or add some hot water & it makes hot coffee!

Also, I’m a total budget nerd and I love this stuff, so if you ever want to chat, I would totally love that. I think $150 for fun money is totally do-able, but also, if you go over this month, don’t stress it. Part of budgeting is learning how you spend money. If you spend $200 a month (so long as you have the money) don’t make your life less fun just to cut that back some. If it’s important to you, you’ll make it happen, if not, you’ll make cuts elsewhere.

Honestly, when I go out with friends, if they don’t have a place in mind to eat, I find one that I know has an awesome special that evening. Like, on Mondays I love going to OTB in the SS. It’s burger night, so any burger on their menu is $6 + .99 for fries if you want them. I can get that + a drink, ’cause they have a HH that runs late, and I’m out the door for under $15 with tax & tip! Little things like that make it so much easier to stay under budget.

• Ciara says:

OK, we need to hang out ASAP because we have so much to talk about! I would love some input on this whole budget thing – because truthfully I am needing some guidance! I was hoping $150 was doable.. I spent over $400 last month in what I call “fun” & it’s just so not necessary for me to be spending that much – especially when I didn’t save a dime. And I love that idea of finding the specials if going out with friends. Easiest way to save money in cases like that! Let me know if you do end up making the cold brew, I’m interested to hear how it turns out.

• Jessie @ The Acquired Sass says:

Done & done. Text me, we’ll make it happen. We can like take a walk or something, ’cause those are free. Haha. And I really need to just take the 5 minutes to make it, I’ll keep you posted.

3. kathy @ more coffee, less talky says:

while being on a budget sucks, it’s a must.

i used to buy coffee all the time but then realized that i’m spending unnecessary money so i now go to my local coffee shop, get THE MOST AMAZING coffee, and set my coffee maker to brew automatically at 645am so i wake up to fresh brewed coffee!! saves so much $ in the long run as well.

and if you want to cut out fast food but can’t be bothered to cook, the crockpot is your best friend. just throw all that stuff in the crock pot, turn on low for 8hrs and come home to a hot meal!

• Ciara says:

If I do cook, I definitely use a crock pot!! It’s a must! And I have been drinking my own coffee at home, it’s not so bad.

4. Samantha Fabris says:

I highly recommend the Mint app for budgeting/spending. It automatically pulls info from your accounts and categorizes everything so you know how much you’re spending where and it’ll create budgets that you can adjust.

I loved Parenthood! I think I cried during every episode.

5. kristen says:

i am the same with fast food/drive thru 😦 i try and be good if i am meal planning or whateer, but whenever i have a bad day or don’t plan properly, i always resort to that! i am travelling in september, but in october i am going to try a no fast food/eating out on my own (aka always drive thru or fast food) month. we’ll see.

• Ciara says:

In October if you end up posting that, I will totally be in on that challenge with you! I need to only eat food that I bought from the store. It’s healthier, there’s less of a chance that it’s processed, & it’s cheaper! Glad to know I’m not alone.

6. Gretchen | Gretchruns says:

I completely agree that time seems to go faster the older we get. It’s crazy how fast this year is going by! I’ve been trying to cut my coffee buying, especially since I spent a ton of money on a Nespresso…might as well use it and not get Starbucks! It’s so hard though when my entire team goes out for a coffee run!

Thanks for linking up 🙂

7. Ashley says:

I love your goal of not eating fast food! When we get lazy we also tend to eat junk, and we need to stop! And hooray for watching Parenthood! It’s still one of my favorite shows ever, and to this day it’s the only TV show that made me cry in a good way! It’s just so good!

• Ciara says:

I’m really liking it. It’s light hearted, there isn’t someone dying every other episode, & they go through real issues. It’s a great, unique show. I’m on season 3. Definitely a lot of tearing up!!

8. Heather says:

My husband and I watched the first 4ish seasons of Parenthood together a few years ago (and I haven’t caught up since!) and I desperately wanted to have Joel for a husband! hahaha. Loved Lauren Graham’s character too 🙂 I should really get back to that show someday!