Spring half marathon training officially begins Dec 17th w. Pro Bike + Run’s kick-off event! I’m excited to be a pace mentor for year numero dos 🙂 As you’ll read below, I’m not actually starting my own personal training schedule until the week of January 1st-7th as 13 weeks training time is perfect for me.
Alright! Let’s hash out what I’ve got going on over the next 4 months & get into the nitty gritty of it! You can see my official training plan here but please remember that I am not a professional & I made this plan myself based strictly on prior experience & knowing how my body best reacts to training. One day I will be a professional & then ya’ll can listen to me all you want 🙂
Training dates: January 7th – April 2nd
Races during training:
- Spring Thaw (10 miles) 2/25/17
- Just a Short Run (8.1 miles) 3/25/17
- Rock ‘n Roll Raleigh (half marathon) 4/2/17
Other races to be in shape for:
- Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5/7/17
- Ragnar Relay Pennsylvania 6/2-6/3/17
EFX class @ FASTER: Monday
Night class: Tuesday + Wednesday (late January – May)
Run: Wednesday (Lunch tempo run) Thursday (optional), Saturday (long run), Sunday (easy)
Rest days: Tuesday, Friday
Friday is my only true rest day. A day where I get to do nothing that involves school or exercise. I know I should probably stretch or do some sort of cross training on this day – but I know myself. The more I schedule myself in, the more overwhelmed I become. Hopefully I can schedule this day for FUN.
Goals for Spring:
- Show up. For myself, mostly. But I want to show up for my pace group too. And everyone else that looks to me for inspiration!
- Never skip a long run. Unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- No booze. You heard it here, folks. I don’t drink that much as it is, but what I’ve realized lately is that it makes me feel like crap. Sure – it’s fun to get buzzed every once & a while but I actually kind of really hate it. So I’ll be sticking to water & I get just as much of a high off some good food as the next person. 🙂
- CROSS-TRAIN. This could mean anything. I do plan on signing up for a class pass at FASTER, but in case for whatever reason I can’t make it on Monday’s… I must put something else in. Whether it be a class at Gold’s (the gym I waste $20 a month at) or a DVD at home.
- and this one goes with the last one. STRETCH. I have to do this. I have to start stretching. I need to find a good YouTube video or something of that nature to show me some good stretches. I do much better following a video, I think. Any suggestions on that front?
There it is. My goals for spring training. I really, really hope that when I post every Monday my weekly training recaps that I am keeping these goals & having a healthy training season!
Are you training for a spring race?
How do you prep for training season?
What’s your favorite way to cross train?