Today I turn 28. How my life has changed over the years, even from just a year ago. I don’t even recognize the person I was when I was 18. If I didn’t know better, I’d say I never lived my old life. But, I did. And because of the person I was, I turned into the person I am. I try not to look back in the past, but I will always remember where I came from. My life has been so blessed these 28 years. Thank you to those that I love & who love me for making my life wonderful ❤
In celebration of my 28th, I created a list of the 28 things I’ve learned in 28 years.
1. Don’t let your Mom clean your room & do your laundry until you move out of her house. You’ll have a hard time doing it when you live on your own.
2. Putting money towards a Flex Spending Account for health expenses should absolutely be done.
3. Coffee is the nectar of life.
4. Spend time with your grandparents while they’re still around. You won’t have forever.
5. Get your car’s oil changed on a regular basis. If you don’t, your transmission with blow. (fun times).
6. It’s okay not to go to college right after high school. Most people have no idea what they want to do at 18 years old.
7. Don’t move in with a boyfriend when you’ve only been dating for a month.
8. Sometimes bad things happen, but better times are coming.
9. Learn to pick your battles.
10. Having a mental illness does not mean you’re broken.
11. God listens & answers my prayers in his own way, even if I don’t think he is.
12. You can’t love someone else without learning to love yourself first.
13. Happiness is not a destination. I can create it at any time.
14. Your sibling(s) will grow up to be your best friend.
15. If you let yourself, you will accomplish more than you ever thought possible.
16. Don’t get a tattoo just “because I want to.” Bad idea.
17. Not everyone has the best intentions for you, or your best interest at heart. Learn to figure out who does.
18. Always strive to be the best employee in your department. Hard work doesn’t always go unnoticed.
19. Don’t be a gossip queen (or king). No one will trust you. And it’s not cute.
20. Parents really are always right.
21. Positivity invites more positivity. Everyone needs a bright light in their life.
22. Spending a few days a week exercising will change your life forever.
23. Fall in love with your life. Set goals. Crush those goals. Give your life meaning. It’s the only way to live a fulfilling life.
24. Whatever you’re doing, be present in the moment.
25. It’s okay to still be single while all of your other friends are getting married/having babies. Your time will come. (Still learning this one).
26. Always stay hopeful.
27. Doing well in school is incredibly rewarding.
28. Life is hard. It’s tough. But it’s also really amazing. Everything really does happen for a reason.