JASR + Raleigh week

Helloooo strangers! I’m sorry for falling off the map since last week. I have a feeling it’s going to continue in the near future. In order for me to write, I need to be inspired. And I guess the month of March has taken a toll on my inspiration. I’ve been busy with school, work + truthfully just life in general. Don’t take it personal, I love you guys. I just may be here less frequently than I had originally hoped. I hope you don’t forget about me in the meantime.

This past Saturday was my last long run of training, the Just a Short Run 8.1 miler. I ran this race last year, with plans on completing the half, but had to drop down to the 8.1 mile distance due to a knee injury. So I already knew what to expect course wise. As far as my performance, I had no idea what to expect. All I knew is that the weather was going to be in the 60s, which I wasn’t a super fan of.

Showing off my mentor status!

Myself, Jessie & Steff hosted a #WeRunSocial meet up before the race & I got to meet some of the other ladies in the Pittsburgh running social community! Loved meeting all of you ladies, hope to see you around in the future!

My family. ❤

The race started at 8:35am. I’ll keep this short & sweet, but the first 3 miles were great: 11:56 (huge uphill), 11:16, 11:15.

The next 3 miles were still good: 11:45, 12:01, 11:42

The last 2 miles I slowly broke down: 12:29, 12:32

Disappointed is an understatement. I wasn’t planning on racing, but the paces in the first half of the race felt good, so I wanted to continue with those paces. But the sun came out & the humidity completely got to me. I thought I was going to vomit at multiple moments during those last 2 miles. When I saw Jessie & Rachel right before the finish line, I truly didn’t even think I was going to be able to run myself in. But I gathered up some good vibes from the girls & finished.

For sure wasn’t what I was expecting, but oh well. On to the next one.

After the race, Jessie & I caught up over coffee.

So all – it’s Raleigh week. I fly out to Raleigh on Saturday & the race in Sunday morning, starting at 7am. The weather doesn’t look good on Sunday running wise. The high is 74, mostly sunny skies. As far as what it’ll be at 7am, I’m not sure. I’m not going to lie – I’m incredibly worried. After how I performed in the weather at JASR, I don’t know what to expect for this. I guess I’m just going to have to do the best I can – which means upping my water intake this week + packing some salt tabs to take before the race. Wish me luck. Can’t wait to update you when I get back.

Enjoy your week, friends!

Linked up with Steff & Tricia!

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “JASR + Raleigh week

1. Jessie @ The Acquired Sass says:

Not necessarily helpful, but I would be worried about the weather too.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who struggled the last 2 miles. Like all of a sudden my body was just like NOPE. IT’S HOT OUT. STOP THIS. And thankfully for both of us our pictures look way better than it sounds like we both felt. Haha.

2. Steffany R. says:

I struggled the last five miles of the race. Don’t worry, it was weird! I’m so excited for your race this weekend!!

3. MrsTonya412 says:

Same here. I struggled the last 2 miles of the race. At least you were dressed according to the weather! (I had on long sleeves – oh no!) On a positive note, you may have similar conditions for Raleigh, so this was a good training run to prepare for it. Maybe you will need to add a hat or visor and drink more water? What was your nutrition/carb-load strategy? Maybe you might need to make some last minute alterations so that you have the energy? Just my thoughts. Good luck next weekend!

• Ciara says:

You’re right – I was totally under fueled. I plan to go into Raleigh as prepared as I possibly can be. Hat, carry water w/ nuun & eat during the race. Thank you girl!!!

4. Rebecca Jo says:

Great job getting it knocked out… & onto your next race- you busy lady!!!
    I love when you have familiar faces before a race – just pumps you up for the miles ahead

5. Jennifer @ Dashing in Style says:

Most important thing first: What did you do to your hair for JASR? It looks like some bun-esque style? It’s super cute! You’ll have to show me how you did it! Don’t be so hard on yourself. The JASR course is so tough! There’s the huge hill at the beginning then nonstop hills after that. I think doing so well for the first part is great! The hills just wear you down over time. I’ve done JASR the past 3 years and was a little sad not to be there this year, but I’m in easy running mode so had to pass. Have fun and good luck this weekend!

• Ciara says:

I swear I just threw my hair up into a bun! haha, thank you! I kept saying I had a pineapple on top of my head lol =) Thanks for the kind words – I miss running with you!

6. Gretchen says:

Can we hang out more? because you are just the best and so much fun! Maybe next time it can be non-running related 😉 Hope you have a great trip and good luck in your race! Have a blast 🙂

7. HoHo Runs says:

Races always feel tough (to me). I just think that’s their inherent nature. So, don’t beat yourself up. 😉 I say great job in those conditions!! It’s wonderful you got to meet so many bloggers too. Good luck in Raleigh this weekend. I take salt caps during half marathons and marathons, btw. It helps me with cramps. Thanks for linking, Ciara!

• Lovie says:

I just feel that polaiictins walk around talking about doing things but nothing happens. Whether you are right wing or left wing in terms of the party you work for. What really changes when someone new comes to power?

• http://www.baufinanzierung7x24.info/ says:

Lisa, Thanks for sharing. It definitly sounds like there’s conflict there (which is vital for a book to have), but I’d also look for a way to insert something in there that shows a reason they fall for each other. Why do they fall in love? Is the heroine irresistable? Does she change his heart?Emily